February 24, 2008

Restaurants

I have found some restaurants that serve gluten free food and are really good about it. A few of these restaurants are listed below.

Fast Food:
Pretty much the only place that I ever go for fast food is Wendy's. They have baked potatoes and I really like them. I do have to tell the kitchen to make sure that the person making my potato has not handled a hamburger bun, or that they need to put on clean gloves.

Restaurants:
There are plenty of restaurants in this area that I eat at.

Texas T-Bone in Grand Island is very good about keeping things from getting contaminated. They let me bring my own steak seasoning in and grill my steak on aluminum foil so that if there is anything on the grill, it won't contaminate my steak. They make sure to use clean utensils and also bring out ingredient lists if a person needs them. I usually order the Sirloin Steak with my own seasoning, a loaded baked potato :), and a ceasar salad with no croutons. The ceasar dressing here is gluten free and I have checked it personally.

Red Lobster is another place that has gf foods. I like some types of seafood and crab legs is one of my favorites. If I tell the manager that I have this allergy, then everything goes smoothly. I also like the ceasar salads here. The only downfall is that the cheesy rolls that I used to love always smell soooo good and they are tempting even though they would make me extremely sick.

Noodles and Co. I just tried this restaurant today. It was so great. There is one at 14th and P in Lincoln. There is also one somewhere in Omaha. I'm not even sure what I ordered, but it was really good. They have a menu on the wall. Anything can be ordered with rice noodles and they have what they call a gluten crash kit. This just means that they cook everything in separate pans with separate utensils and notify the kitchen that it is for a gluten allergy so that there will be no cross contamination. My mom also ordered gluten free so that I could try her meal as well as my own. I brought the extras home so that I could take them to school as lunches this week. The restaurant is kind of like fast food when you order. It was fairly cheap and I got a gigantic plate of food. You sit down with the number they give you at whatever table you want. They bring your food out to you and it is on real plates with real silverware. In case you were thinking that it would be like Fazolis. Its not. It is more of a casual dining place without the cheap plastic.


These are just a few of the places that I like to eat. I hope you have as good of luck at these places as I have.

Kara

7 comments:

John & Angie Moore said...

Thanks for the info on restaurants. I didn't realize that Grand Island had a cooperating gf restaurant. We will have to try it out. Have you ever tried Outback Steakhoue? I've heard they have a gluten free menu, but I haven't been there.

There's a chinese restaurant in Omaha that also has a gluten-free menu, but of course I can't come up with the name right now. It is a franchise though and is on West Dodge in Omaha.

I agree that Wendy's is the best place for fast food.

My parents (Sabra's grandparents) live in south central nebraska. Has anyone found a good place to eat gluten free in Kearney or McCook?

A year or so ago, a read an article about a gluten free cafe either in Clyde or Concordia Kansas. Does anyone know about it? They had a gluten free store along with the cafe. I remember reading the article, but was kinda overwhelmed with it all and lost the article.

Gluten Free Nebraska said...

I have tried Outback Steakhouse. The food wasn't bad, and the gluten free menu was okay, but it really wasn't very big and the prices are pretty high.

Have you ever eaten at Chili's? They have a gluten free menu. All of their ribs and most of their steaks are gluten free. I really like eating here when we go out and there is a Chili's in Kearney, Lincoln, and Omaha.

You mentioned a chinese restaurant. Is it maybe called P.F. Chang's? If so, I have been looking forward to trying out their gluten free menu.

Kara

Ron & Penny Buller said...

I found a website www.glutenfreeregistry.com this site allows restaurants to register with them for special services and menus that they offer.

Another place to try is Kerry's in McCool Junction. They have done a fabulous job working with us, they bring labels and containers out for us to check the ingredient lists. Great food too.

MO said...

We just tried Chili's last week. It was awesome! The manager even brought out a PDF file with the nutrition information so we could figure A.'s carbs. They were very nice and accomadating. A. had ribs, loaded mashed potatoes and a chocolate shake. All from their gluten-free menu.

MO said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MO said...

Kara,

That's so exciting about Noodles and Company we ate there last year with friends and loved it. Just the other day we drove by their new location across from Southpointe in Lincoln and A was drooling.

I had made the comment that a place like that would be smart to jump on the GF lifestyle, they would get lots of business! Glad to know they have!

Now, can we get a pizza place to do the same?

MO said...

Sorry, me again, I need to get my thoughts organized!

Lonestar Steakhouse is another great place. They don't have a gluten-free menu, but they worked with us on all our ordering and did a great job. We were faily new to the lifestyle and maybe didn't request all we needed to, but when you have two different managers stop and consult with you throughour the night, they gained my loyalty. And when one went and ripped the nutrition information off the fry bag and brought it to us, I fell in love. :)