February 21, 2008

Ridiculous Comments

Well, in the two years that I have had celiac, I have heard some pretty funny comments.

One of these comments is from a time that I went to Runza. My mom ordered a hamburger for me with no bun. She asked the girl taking our order to tell the people in the kitchen that they needed to make sure that there was no crumbs that could contaminate me. The girl was embarassed to tell the kitchen about it so she asked her manager to tell the kitchen because it was for a food allergy. The manager turned to my mom and asked her what kind of allergy. Mom told the manager that it was for a wheat allergy and that I was highly allergic so she needed to tell the kitchen. The manager turned to my mom and flat-out said, "We don't have any wheat in this establishment." My mom snapped back something about how every bun in their kitchen was made of wheat. Then when we got the food, my mom made me open it at the counter to make sure that it was done right since the manager had told her that they didn't have any wheat in the restaurant.

No comments: