February 22, 2008

Dealing With Friends

Well, I really don't know much about diabetes, or how it affects people, since I don't have diabetes. But, as a celiac, my friends tend to make comments to me about eating something, or they catch themselves in the middle of asking me if I want their brownie or donut. I have gotten to where this doesn't bother me very much anymore because I have really begun to like my gluten-free food. But there are times when it makes me a little bit mad and I want to yell because they just can't seem to remember. When this happens, I just have to remind myself that they don't deal with the celiac every day, so they don't think of it naturally like I do. Other than occassionally forgetting about my celiac, my friends have been great in accepting my celiac. They are willing to try a bite of my food when I bring something new and are also willing to learn a little bit more about what I can eat. Over New Years, my friends and I made pizzas with Kinnikinnick pizza crusts and everybody had fun and really liked my food. This great support from my friends has really helped me through this time while I have been adjusting to my allergies, even in those times when they make me want to scream.

No comments: