March 24, 2008

Brain Fog?

As a parent of a celiac, I notice that at times our daughter is just "not there". Is like she mentally checks out for a while. It is hard to determine if it is because of her blood sugar numbers, being glutened, being nine years olf or just being distracted. For example, in school she knows her mulitplication facts - most days. Then she will not know what 5x1 is and is plainly confused. Or we will be reviewing for a test and she will insist that they didn't cover something in class and is just clueless about it. I've read about some celiacs who say it is like a 'brain blip' or "brain fog" - kinda like short term memory loss. I would like to here from any of you about this. I don't want to use it as a crutch for her not doing well in school, but if there is something to it; I want to get on top of it and help her learn skills to work around it. The school has been hesitant to do any testing and I would like more information to see what if anything can be done.
Thanks!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Iknow that Kara has complained about the same type of symptom when she has been glutened. Ithink the diet has taken care of most of it, but I will check with her to see if she has anything to add. They should be home from Rochester late the 27th.
Ron

Gluten Free Nebraska said...

Angie,

Like my dad said, I do have some problems like that when I have been contaminated with gluten. It is almost like a tunnel vision and anything that is not in that narrow focus is completely forgotten or not heard. Sometimes I have to have my mom repeat things 3 or 4 times before I actually understand what she is saying. I think that Celiac can cause a "brain fog" when a person is not feeling well. If your daughter is having some trouble, she is most likely not able to focus on things very well. I know that when I am sick, I might try to read to pass the time, but I end up reading the same page over and over again, just to get nowhere because my mind can't fully comprehend it. I believe that when you finally can get some answers on what is causing her problems, your daughter will start feeling better and her concentration may improve.

I hope that you can find some answers. Until then, I will pray for her and hope that you can find those answers.

Kara